Welcome To the Message Board of SWG Orion Eclipse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guild Name

+3
Sythy
Caraelus
Fravacca
7 posters

Go down

Guild Name Empty Guild Name

Post  Fravacca Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:40 am

Whenever The Old Republic comes along and we begin our wonderfull new adventures, a new guild will have to be formed. Seeing how we are all going to be a part of this, it should only be fair we disscuss ideas for what the name of our guild should be.
Now there is an obvious choice here seeing that we all have a perfictly good guild name right now. I would say Orion has been a a top notch guild on two servers, around almost as long as thie game itself. To me Orion is simply a part of Star wars Galaxies. To that end I propose that it should stay that way, Orion is a SWG guild and should continue to be a SWG guild. Same goes for the name of the guild I use to run, Support Educate and Lead (SEALs). Im not trying to say we couldent re-use a guild name, I just think a fresh start would be better.
So feel free to toss around any ideas, we got plenty of time to find something we like.
Fravacca
Fravacca

Back to top Go down

Guild Name Empty Re: Guild Name

Post  Caraelus Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:21 am

I think Orion is a great name, but then again there are so many other great names out there that could be used. While I do think that Orion is a solid, strong, and respectable name, the name should contain some sort of meaning to our mission, so I think we need to ask ourselves, what is our mission, or are we just running blind? Also, if there's going to be a whole new name, then it should be clanwide, seems like too much of a separation, like some people being more proud of being from their own state than America itself.
Caraelus
Caraelus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sythy Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:45 pm

I do agree with it should be a uniform but it would be interesting how the guild options will be in SWTOR. It wouldn't be a bad idea to stay with one of guild names from SWG just to help people out to see something familiar just in case we have lost contact with past members . But thats just my thought unless we come up with a new name we all can agree on.
Sythy
Sythy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelnari Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:17 pm

I really liked how we did SEALs as Support, Educated, and Lead. It said exactly who we were and what we stood for. I think Caraelus was right that we need to decide who we want to be as a guild. Do we want to be a helper guild, or a pve/pvp guild, are we going to make it only republic or open to everyone? Orion is an awesome guild, it has been on two servers. SEALs was my home for a long time, I love them too. I do kind of feel that something new for a new game would be nice, especially if we could make an acronym with it. I think that helps bond people together, creating the guild name. Instead of just joining a guild, you are literally create it together.
Kelnari
Kelnari

Back to top Go down

Guild Name Empty not much

Post  Epacenter Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:58 am

not much room for traders in the skill tree yet - will this be another everyones a master of crafting their own stuff MMO?
Epacenter
Epacenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Par'Vala Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:42 pm

Look like it so far. To be completly honest I did not know that a lot of us would switch to TOR. I for one have already committed myself to a guild (Jedi centered but not exclusive with moderate/heavy roleplay and pvp/pve) called The Knights of Sokan http://knightsofsokan.forumotion.com/forum.htm however like I told them a lot of water will flow under the bridges until release.

As for the name we could pick Andromeda instead of Orion Laughing
Par'Vala
Par'Vala

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelnari Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:11 pm

Andromeda, that is interesting, where did you come up with that name? I remember in Greek mythology someone named Andromeda was sacrificed (I think, they may have just been unfortunate) to a sea monster.
Kelnari
Kelnari

Back to top Go down

Post  Par'Vala Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:05 pm

Two main sources; both have a different meaning but they share the same name wich I like at the base Smile

First of all, from the greek mythology:

Andromeda was a princess from Greek mythology who, as divine punishment for her mother's bragging, (the Boast of Cassiopeia) was chained to a rock as a sacrifice to a sea monster. She was saved from death by Perseus, her future husband. Her name is the Latinized form of the Greek Ἀνδρομέδη (Andromédē). The traditional etymology of the name is "to think of a man," from ἀνήρ, ἀνδρός (anēr, andrós) "man" combined with μήδομαι (mēdomai) "to think, to be mindful of."

The subject has been popular in art since classical times. In the Christian period the subject was converted into the legend of St George and the Dragon, but from the Renaissance interest revived in the original story, typically as derived from Ovid's account.

In Greek mythology, Andromeda was the daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopeia, king and queen of the kingdom Ethiopia.

Her mother Cassiopeia boasted that she was more beautiful than the Nereids, the nymph-daughters of the sea god Nereus and often seen accompanying Poseidon. To punish the Queen for her arrogance, Poseidon, brother to Zeus and god of the Sea, sent a whale (Cetus) to ravage the coast of Ethiopia including the kingdom of the vain Queen. The desperate King consulted the Oracle of Apollo, who announced that no respite would be found until the king sacrificed his virgin daughter Andromeda to the monster. She was chained naked to a rock on the coast.

Perseus was returning from having slain the Gorgon Medusa, he found Andromeda and slew Cetus by turning him to stone. He set her free, and married her in spite of Andromeda having been previously promised to her uncle Phineus. At the wedding a quarrel took place between the rivals, and Phineus was turned to stone by the sight of the Gorgon's head (Ovid, Metamorphoses v. 1).

Andromeda followed her husband to Tiryns in Argos, and together they became the ancestors of the family of the Perseidae through the line of their son Perses. Perseus and Andromeda had seven sons: Perseides, Perses, Alcaeus, Heleus, Mestor, Sthenelus, and Electryon, and one daughter, Gorgophone. Their descendants ruled Mycenae from Electryon down to Eurystheus, after whom Atreus attained the kingdom, and would also include the great hero Heracles. According to this mythology, Perseus is the ancestor of the Persians.

After her death, Andromeda was placed by Athena amongst the constellations in the northern sky, near Perseus and Cassiopeia. The constellation had been named after her. Sophocles and Euripides (and in more modern times Corneille) made the story the subject of tragedies.

Second and for the most part is off a small book I read a few years back about the last stand of the Andromeda Guard desperatly trying to hold off the Kheargit troops but ultimatly the Kheargits were too numerous and soon the worlds that formed the Andromeda Alliance were systematicly exterminated by the Kheargits.
Par'Vala
Par'Vala

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitebytes Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:46 am

(Forgive my newbie intrusion on this thread, but ToR looks awesome and we may well sign up to it)

Andromeda was also a sci-fi series based on a concept bt Gene Roddenbery (Star Trek):
The plot is not dissimilar to the book you read Par'vala.

The Systems Commonwealth (federation of planets by another name) is betrayed and overrun by one of it's member factions.
During one of the initial battles of the war, one of it's starships, the Andromeda Ascendant, becomes trapped on the event horizon of a black hole. It is recovered 400 years later, with its captain as the lone survivor. He then tries to rebuild the long broken Systems Commonwealth against insurmountable odds.
Nitebytes
Nitebytes

Back to top Go down

Post  Fravacca Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 pm

I’m not sure why but it seems I like the idea of an acronym for a guild name, anyways here’s my idea
DELTA
Dedication Equality Leadership Teaching Altruism
It lets people know the kind of things we stand for, how we like to conduct ourselves, and it’s short form is catchy enough people will remember and recognize it (It even gives us a starting point if we ever wanted to create a logo). What do you all think about it?
Fravacca
Fravacca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelnari Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:05 am

I like DELTA and the acronym with it.
Kelnari
Kelnari

Back to top Go down

Post  Sythy Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:43 pm

all the main dot com org etc are taken looks like =/
Sythy
Sythy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelnari Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:57 pm

I meant I think DELTA is a cool guild name for TOR, I think our domain name should be Wanderhome.org (or whatever domain name). If not Wanderhome then my next choice is sealsguild.com.

Does that make any sense? lol
Kelnari
Kelnari

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down